Writing a research proposal
Guidelines for writing a research proposal are now on SkillsLab!
The purpose of a student research proposal is to show your lecturer that you have planned your research project well enough to ensure a successful outcome.
The proposal typically answers the following questions:
- What is the broad research area, and why is it important?
- How have you narrowed down the broad topic?
- What exactly is the research question?
- What do you already know about the topic? (background, theoretical and practical issues, some references to recent literature)
- What exactly do you hope to show?
- How will you perform the research? (methodology, possibly a time line)
- What resources will you use or require? (e.g., equipment, facilities, technical help)
- What reading have you already done? (an initial reading list)
Click here to read all about this and download the checklist!